Monday, February 15, 2010

Living Beyond Myself...Week 2

Below are my notes from yesterday's message.


What? Me, a Priest?

Many gift cards have the following phrase included on them: "Not good unless redeemed."

Before Jesus, God worked through a select group of people: priests.
The Day of Pentecost: all believers are filled with the Holy Spirit (now every Christ-follower is a priest [has direct access to God]).

1 Peter 2:9
How do we get people to realize that they are priests (able to communicate directly with God)?

1 Peter 4:10
Help them to see their gift.

1 Corinthians 12
Just because you aren't a "major" body part (hand, eye) doesn't mean that you aren't an important and necessary part. Different does not mean insignificant.

Each person is given a gift to show the world who God is (hospitable, compassionate, creative, etc)

v18: God has arranged the parts of the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
>We are not to wish we had other gifts because God gifted us specifically.
>We are responsible for determining and developing our gift(s).
>When we choose not to use our gift, the whole body suffers.
>No one has every gift; therefore, we need others to have a complete body.

Kirbyjon Caldwell quote: There are two great moments in a person's life: the moment you were born and the moment you realize why you were born.

Chariots of Fire: God made me fast. And when I run I feel his pleasure.

Complete this for yourself: God made me ________. And when I ________ I feel his pleasure.


I really enjoyed the reminder of the importance of using the gifts we've been given. I think we do sometimes feel like what we have been gifted with is insignificant or not as good or important as gifts others have. It's like Adam said last night watching the NBA All-Star Game, "All athletes want to be musicians and all musicians want to be athletes." Even though they have a great ability, they still desire that of someone else. We, as humans, really struggle with contentment in all areas of our lives. It is encouraging to be reminded that God gave me my gifts specifically. He didn't create me to be an amazing singer. I shouldn't feel inferior to those who are because my gifts are not less important than theirs.

Jeff handed out Gifts Assessments for everyone to fill out in order to discern and then develop the gift(s) they have been given. I took it and found my top three to be Encouraging, Shepherding, and Leadership. I wonder if there will be a more detailed description of the various gifts in the assessment. I have known for quite some time that I have been gifted with Encouragement. I have seen God use me to help others in their faith, especially when they needed a lift. I definitely want to be used more in this area. I should probably pray for an open heart and mind to see opportunities.

If you are interested in taking the assessment, let me know and I'll email it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment