Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Soul Revolution

This Sunday our church began our new series, Soul Revolution. Not only is it a nine week message series, but there is a book that we are reading, a study for small groups AND a running partners option. Running partners is like an accountability group for the Soul Revolution study. As if our lives are not going to be saturated enough with Soul Revolution things, there is a challenge in the book/study/message series called the "60-60 Experiment", which I believe I mentioned in a previous post. Needless to say, if one is fully involved in this experience, there should be some growth/change that occurs in one's life. That's my hope.

I was in the nursery once again this Sunday so I don't have message series notes. I did listen to it on my way home from work today so it is somewhat fresh in my mind. What I got most out of it is that without God in our lives, it is like we are all steering our individual Titanic ship. We are on our own, not heeding advice, and bound to crash at some point. Jeff also talked about how, because we are very aware that, while God created us with some great plans and purpose for us, we are nowhere near living that life. There is a gap between where we are and where we could/should be. And so we may feel that God is disappointed in us and thus we feel guilt or shame. We then try to span the gap on our own strength and merit, which is not really possible. However, we learn in Romans 8:1 that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. God doesn't want to punish us for not being able to do it on our own. He wants to come alongside of us and help us to become the people he created us to be.

I like the part where Jeff said that we really struggle with turning our life over to God because we don't know what that means and we like to feel like we're in control. However, when we do ask God to take over, this is what he says: "You steer the ship. However, remember that I am the captain. Listen to me and seek my advice and I will help you get through the dangerous waters and into safe passageways." (Well, that's not exactly what Jeff said. It's my paraphrase.)

I really enjoyed the message and it encouraged me to really dive in to the 60-60 experiment which started on Sunday as well. I am hoping to make time to blog about my experience with that as well, which I will do for the first time after this post. I would encourage you to listen to the whole message here. If it sounds interesting, perhaps get your own copy of the book Soul Revolution by John Burke.

No comments:

Post a Comment