Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Just Say Yes...Part 1

It's January and we have a new message series to help us start the year off right. I will try to be diligent in posting notes about each week. Enjoy!


Just Say Yes...When You Don't Understand

Genesis 12-22 (Abraham)

Pray this week: "Lord, help me to say 'yes' to you today."

Abraham's story tells us four things:

1. There's always a Promise
>God tells Abraham to leave everything he's known for an unspecified destination.
->People who say 'yes' to God hold things loosely (plans, possessions)
-->Is there anything you are holding on to that keeps you from fully responding to God?
>Abraham lived for another world.
>When God makes a promise, he ALWAYS delivers.
->It's one thing to believe IN God; it's another to BELIEVE God.
-->Doubt does not diminish one's faith.

2. There's always a Test (ch 22)

3. There's always a Choice
>Will you continue to trust God even when you don't understand?
->"Faith is trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse." Philip Yancey
>22:5 WE will worship and then WE will come back to you.
->Hebrews 11:19 - Abraham reasons that God could revive the dead (having never seen or heard an instance of God actually doing so!)

4. There's always a Provision
>"God is seldom early, but he's never late."
->Don't miss out on God's best/blessings for your life just because they aren't package din the way you want or expect.


I really enjoyed this message. It was good to be reminded that we have a God we can trust. This is a needed reminder because often we are asked to do things without knowing how it will all play out. God has a plan and we can trust him to come through and provide what is needed to accomplish his plan. Our job is to be willing to be part of God's plan.

Is there anything that I am holding on to that keeps me from being useful? I'm sure I am more concerned with "stuff" than I need to be. I definitely put a lot of hope/stock into spending a long part of my life with my husband. Not that God would ask me to let go of him, but he knows how much time we have together and it would be a big shock to suddenly be without him. I know it seems weird that I'm thinking about that, but I guess that's what happens when there's a new life on the horizon. I can't imagine having to raise a child on my own. I digress...I hope that I am not grasping onto things that aren't important at the detriment of being useful to God. I pray that if there is something, God would help me to see it and let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment