Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Just Say Yes...Part 2

Below is this past week's message notes. I really enjoyed it and think you would too. You can listen to it here.


Just Say Yes...When You Feel Inadequate


Exodus 3-4 (Moses)
>Moses resisted God's call to use him (he even gave 5 reasons why he was inadequate!)
->3:3 "I must turn aside, and see this marvelous sight, why the bush is not burned up." (NASB)
-->Moses did not HAVE to turn aside; he chose to. We also must choose.

How God are you at turning aside to listen to God? How hard is it for God to get your attention?

1. Who am I? v.11 (I'm nobody. How am I supposed to do what you want me to?)
>God does not look for extraordinary people, just regular people willing to say yes to an extraordinary God.
>v.12 (God's response) "I will be with you"
->Hebrews 11 - common people with great faith
->2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

2. Who are you? v.13 (What about your character and intentions?
>v.14 "I am". I AM the God who cares about you.

3. What if they do not believe me or listen to me? 4:1
>God asks Moses to trust him; provides miraculous signs
->God asks us to give him whatever is in our hand (unhindered access to what we DO have).

4. I am slow of speech and tongue. v.10
>v.11 Who gave man his mouth?...Is it not I, the Lord?...I will help you.
->God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.
->God has made you perfect for what he wants you to do.

5. Please send someone else to do it. v.13
>God gives him his brother Aaron to help him.
->In community we help one another say yes to God.
->Who is your Aaron, helping you say yes to God? Who are you being an Aaron to?

What happened to the burning bush? Scripture doesn't say. Perhaps it's still burning, inviting us to turn aside and answer God's call.

The cross of Christ has made our insecurities irrelevant.


This was such a good message. We are all guilty of making excuses as to why we cannot do what God has asked us to do. It may be as simple as "It's too hard". I know I can be like Moses and just not want to (Please send someone else). But there's a reason God has asked ME to do this thing. There is something he wants to teach me or bless me with. I don't want to miss out on gaining intimacy with and knowledge of God. I need to stay connected so that I will have eyes to see and a heart willing to turn aside.

Is there anything in your life that you know God wants you to do but you keep making excuses? Perhaps you should ask God to answer your insecurities like he did Moses'. Of course, if you do this, you may feel really silly when you realize how small you've made God out to be. He can do ANYTHING with ANYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment