Sunday, January 9, 2011

In the garden

I've started reading through Genesis. It seemed like a good place to start for the new year. Chapter three was interesting and really got me thinking. In the chapter, the man and the woman eat from the tree in the middle of the garden. They then hide from God when he comes to meet with them in the evening. God asks the man if he ate from the forbidden tree. His response is not admission, but blame. "The woman you put here with me". He's blaming both God and the woman, shifting all blame away from himself. For the moment, God ignores it and asks the woman what she did. She places blame on the serpent, claiming deception. This is a clear illustration of mankind's first response to getting caught in the wrong - try to deflect responsibility. It's so hard for me to admit wrongdoing and seek forgiveness and I'm not sure how comforting it is to know that it's never been the natural response.

So they get kicked out of the garden among other consequences. But one thing I noted was verse 21 "The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." Even though, they had just blatantly sinned against him, he still loved them and cared for them. He lovingly provided them with clothes to help ease their shame. It is so amazing to see how much God loves his creation. I know that when I've been hurt by others, my first reaction is not to consider how I may help them. But God shows us the best way to care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment