Tuesday, June 30, 2009

S.O.A.P. Day 9

Today's section of scripture was Psalms 41-45.

Scripture
: My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? Psalm 42:2

Observation: I should long for God. He should be a daily necessity like water. Do I constantly desire more of God? Do I look for the next opportunity to be able to meet with God? Or do I feel it an obligation rather than a privilege?

Application: I should be desiring God so much that I am constantly seeking moments I can steal away with him. Time with God should be what I seek most. I should ask myself, "When I can I go and meet with God?" and take every opportunity.

Prayer: Lord, forgive me for taking time with you for granted. I know how much I need this time. Help me to make the most of my time with you and to look for more opportunities to be with you. Amen.

I really enjoyed this Scripture today. It was very convicting to me when the psalmist asked about meeting with God. I have plenty of time each day, multiple times per day, and I certainly don't take advantage of all of them. Many times I'll choose instead to play Hearts on the computer or stare mindlessly at the television. I'm not saying that I'm not supposed to have any leisure time, but sometimes these are worthless habits. I'm staring at the TV not because I need a break, but because I can't think of anything better to do. I need to form new habits, such as reading my Bible or using my gifts to serve others, when I find myself with unoccupied time (re: bored).

No comments:

Post a Comment