Wednesday, November 11, 2009

60-60 Post 4

As I stated in my last post, I was out of town last week. Now, I suppose that really shouldn't affect the 60-60 experiment. But it did for me. See, I'm a routine person. When I get out of my daily schedule I struggle a lot with maintaining a quiet time and being purposeful about spending time with God.

Why does a new environment disrupt my usual fastidiousness? I think it has to do with what I perceive to be unwritten expectations. When I'm visiting someone, or someone is visiting me, I find it hard to justify hiding myself away for half an hour, especially when I'm the last one up in the morning. I feel like everyone is waiting on me so I shouldn't dawdle. Having or being company tends to mean squeezing in as much as possible into the few days we are seeing each other which also shuts the door on "me time".

Now, I know that God is present at all times (hence the 60-60 reminders) and that even short times of connection can be beneficial. I just really prefer that time of solitude. I'm an introvert so I have trouble focusing when there are other distractions. I can focus when I'm driving alone in the car, but if there's someone else with me, they usually want to talk or listen to the radio.

I did hear the beeps and did think of God's presence throughout the week. I admired the beauty of fall and the rolling landscape of the Shenandoah Valley. I just don't feel like there was anything that really stuck out. Probably the most interesting thing of the week was helping Adam's grandmother list her old couch on Craigslist. I took a picture and posted an ad on Wednesday. Someone contacted her on Thursday, stopped by on Friday, looked at it, purchased it and took it with her that evening. That's some fast response! I did not think that it would be such a quick sell.

So that was last week. How is everyone else doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment