Thursday, November 12, 2009

How People Change

Adam and I were out of town for this past week's Soul Revolution. However, I was getting together with my accountability partner/friend Jill on Tuesday and she wanted us to share our Spiritual Inventories (which was a part of Sunday's message) so I decided I had better listen to the message before we got together. (I also needed to do the inventory so I had a busy Tuesday morning). So I listened to it and took some notes that I will share with you. Feel free to listen to it yourself here.


Soul Revolution Week 5

Spiritual Inventory
>Am I living as if my sins are the main event rather than God's work and grace on my sins?
>Am I allowing my sins to label me?

This reminded me of a Stuff Christians Like post I had just read on Monday about focusing on our failures rather than our successes (I was doing catch up there as well). I recommend you check it out.

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

1 Timothy 4:8 - spiritual workout
>Put spiritual practices in place so that when trials come, we will turn to God rather than responding with our old habits. (Spiritual practice info in next week's message which I will also miss due to being in the nursery but you will be able to find it at the church's website where this week's message is linked).
>Work out in community.
>We can have a greater impact as a group than as individuals.
>Spiritual growth is not a solo sport.


I did enjoy the message. Especially how it related so well to the SCL post the previous day. I definitely liked Jon Acuff's point that it is "NO CONDEMNATION" rather than "SOME or A LITTLE CONDEMNATION" that we sometimes tend to believe. Romans 8:1 is a verse that needs to be written on my heart.

If you are wondering what exactly the Spiritual Inventory is, check out the post after this for more information along with my experience with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment