Monday, July 20, 2009

S.O.A.P. Day 27

The scripture for day 27 was Psalm 119.

Scripture: I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

Observation: The psalmist knows that by learning and meditating on scripture, he will be more aware of what it says so that he can obey it.

Application: I need to get back to verse memorization. I keep saying this because it is true and beneficial,, but i have yet to put it into practice again.

Prayer: Father, you are so good to me. Thank you for your Word that reminds me of the necessity of knowing (and not just reading) it. Help me to begin hiding your Word in my heart. Amen.


There were a couple other verses that I really enjoyed from Psalm 119.

Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. Psalm 119:90

Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165


I remember the first time I tried reading Psalm 119. I was overwhelmed by the length of it (176 verses and approximately four pages in my bible). I also got weighed down by the theme of loving and knowing God's Word. At that point in time the repetition was somewhat boring to me. However, more recent readings of it have given me encouragement and joy. Now that I do desire to know and obey God's Word, the words of this psalm resonate with me. It's amazing how passages in the Bible hit you differently at various readings. It is an obvious sign of God's work in my life and how his Word is always relevant. I occasionally will date a scripture verse or section and make a notation of the particular circumstance that applies to it. It's neat when I come across the verse later to read about its past benefits.

Does anyone else write in their Bible? Have you noticed how a passage can mean nothing to you at one reading and be spot on at another time?

No comments:

Post a Comment